Begin Main Content Area

Victim Compensation​

If you have been a victim of crime in Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency's Victims Compensation Assistance Program may be able to help by paying you back for money you had to pay out-of-pocket or lost because of a crime.  Compensation may be paid to you or others for medical expenses, counseling, lost work earnings, loss of support, funeral expenses, travel costs, childcare, stolen cash, relocation, the costs to cleanup a crime-scene and other expenses.
To receive compensation, you must meet these requirements for eligibility:

Be a victim of a crime that happened in Pennsylvania or a Pennsylvania resident who was injured or killed in a foreign country that does not have a compensation program

Report the crime or file a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA) within three days

Cooperate with the police, courts and the Victims Compensation Assistance Program

File the claim within two years of the date of the crime

Not be involved in illegal activity that caused the crime to happen

Have an out-of-pocket expense of at least $100 because of the crime (if you are less than 60 years old).


There are exceptions to the above requirements (especially if the victim is younger than 18 years old).

This program will not reimburse you for:

Pain and suffering

Stolen or damaged property (except some medical items such as canes, wheelchairs, eyeglasses, hearing aids or medications)

REMEMBER, you or a family member may receive compensation even if you don’t meet all of the above requirements. To see if you may be eligible or for help in filing a claim, please contact the Victims Compensation Assistance Program at 1.800.233.2339. The best way to file a claim is with the help of a victim advocate at one of the places on this PA Victim Service Program map.

You can also file a claim by yourself on the Internet through the DAVE webpage.​